The Flyerboard is an interactive touch screen designed to distribute up-to-date information through event listings, news, announcements, social media, multimedia, local guides, and people search throughout the School of Medicine's campus. Users interact with these screens via touch and can easily navigate through the various modules to immediately access information.
Launch in January 2014, these screens can be purchased by departments and the information easily customized through the school's web content management system, Tridion, to pull department-specific content. Available modules include:
- Happening Now: an aggregate of the latest calendar events, news, announcements, multimedia and social media listings. (automatically populated by content from the other modules -- this is like the "Home" page for the Flyerboard)
- Multimedia: an aggregate of video and images from school websites (via Tridion), Flickr, Vimeo and YouTube. (managed via Tridion, Youtube channels and Flickr)
- Social Media: an aggregate of posts from Twitter and Facebook. (managed through Facebook and Twitter)
- Announcements: items from the school’s news system tagged as an “announcement”. (managed through the Profile System's News Module)
- Flyerboard: calendar events with a flyer or image. (managed through the Event Calendar)
- News: a news listing and articles from the schools news system, along with other external sources such as the Yale Daily News, Yale Daily Bulletin and the local newspapers. (managed through the Profile System's News Module)
- Yale Transit Map: a real-time display of Yale buses. (managed by Yale Transit)
- New Haven Guide: a listing of categorized venues and venue details from Foursquare. (automatically updated via Foursquare)
- Weather: real-time local weather and forecasts. (automatically updated via Yahoo Weather)
- Calendar: an event calendar from the school’s event calendaring system. (managed through the Event Calendar)
- Find a person: an integration with the school’s profile system that allows users to search for people or see lists of people alphabetically, by location or by organization. (managed through the Profile System)
- International Activity: an integration with the school’s profile system that displays a map of faculty activity from around the world. Users can view by world, continent and country. (managed through the Profile System)
Interactive display screens are available in three sizes. The prices below include the ELO touchscreen, computer, and shipping. Excluded from these prices is the cost to run power and ethernet connections to the screen location, and the physical screen installation.
- 32" Screen: $3,036.34
- 42" Screen: $3,082.45
- 55" Screen: $4,936.93
For most locations, we recommend either the 42" or 55" screens. Once you select your screen size, please contact our office at email@example.com to order the screen. We will also work with you to arrange installation.
- Infrastructure: Each screen needs a power and ethernet connection. Please work with YSM Facilities to arrange new power and ethernet connections if they do not currently exist in the desired location for the screen. Normal installation location for power and ethernet is 60" from the ground. However, these are only guidelines and can change depending on the space.
- Installation: Each screen must be professionally installed. When the screen is configured, the YSM Web Group will work with you to arrange installation by our local A/V vendor. This is approximately $360 for installation and $200 for the wall mount.
- Yearly Maintenance: The annual maintenance fee for FY15 is $750 per screen. This fee helps cover the cost of software running the screens (patches and updates to the screen's operating system) as well as enhancements to the Flyerboard application that runs on each screen.
Training and Support
The Flyerboard is fully supported by the School of Medicine's Web Group. Our team provides training and support to the staff managing content on the screens, works to fix any bugs identified in the application, and continues to make enhancements and updates to the Flyerboard project as budgets permit.